NEW YORK — Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund today endorsed 11 Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America volunteers who are running for office.
“Moms Demand Action volunteers know a thing or two about passing laws to improve their communities, so it’s no surprise that so many grassroots gun safety leaders are taking matters into their own hands and running for office,” said John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety. “Everytown is proud to endorse these Moms Demand Action volunteers, who have proven their commitment to keeping their neighbors safe from gun violence.”
“Moms Demand Action volunteers will do whatever it takes to make their communities safer, and that includes running for elected office,” said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. “Through years of advocacy in their communities, they’ve learned what will work to protect their communities from gun violence. These volunteers are ready to move from shaping policy as advocates to making policy as lawmakers.”
Everytown today endorsed:
- Tara Donnelly Gottlieb, Connecticut, Easton Board of Finance
- Ali Brown, Indiana, Indianapolis City-Council, District 5
- Kathy Parker, Indiana, West Lafayette City Council, District 5
- Bridget Montgomery, Iowa, Urbandale City Council
- Jennifer Gilman, New Jersey, Westfield Town Council, Ward 3
- Barbara Walsh, New York, Beekman Town Board
- Laura Burns, New York, Nassau County Legislator, District 6
- Michele Hill-Davis, New York, Wilton Town Board
- Erin Dickinson, Ohio, Broadview Heights City Council
- Sarah Stankorb Taylor, Ohio, Wyoming City Council
- Laura Johnson, Washington, Edmonds City Council, District 7
Last week, Everytown endorsed three volunteers running in Virginia:
- David Zilles, Virginia, State House, District 23
- Laura Jane Cohen, Virginia, Springfield School Board
- Michael Hammond, Virginia, Fauquier County School Board
Moms Demand Action volunteer Movita Johnson-Harell, a Philadelphia-based gun violence survivor, was endorsed by Everytown earlier this year, and won a special election for Pennsylvania House of Representatives District 190. Moms Demand Action volunteer Christine McGrath was also endorsed by Everytown earlier this year, and won her race for Verona Town Council in New Jersey.
Moms Demand Action volunteers know that gun violence kills 100 Americans every day and wounds hundreds more – and they are running for office to enact change and stand up to the gun lobby’s priorities.