Gun Lobby-Backed LD 652 Would Defy Overwhelming Public Opinion – Poll Shows Nearly 9 in 10 Mainers Want to Keep State’s Concealed Carry Permitting System; 57% Would Be More Likely to Oppose Reelection of Lawmakers Voting To Repeal Permits
Augusta, ME – Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund and Maine Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America today released a new poll showing 84 percent of Maine voters believe people should be required to have a permit in order to carry hidden, loaded guns in public places, as current law dictates.
The poll comes as gun lobby-backed legislation, LD 652, is being debated in the Maine legislature. If the bill becomes law, Maine would become one of only five states to allow people to carry hidden, loaded guns in public places without any permit whatsoever.
Among the poll’s findings:
- 84 percent of Maine voters oppose allowing citizens to carry concealed handguns in public places without a permit.
- 89 percent of Maine voters support keeping the current Maine law that requires people who carry hidden, loaded guns in public to have a permit.
- Support for the state’s concealed carry permitting system is overwhelming among every subgroup of voters, including:
- 94 percent of Democrats
- 85 percent of Republicans
- 83 percent of those living in a household with an NRA-member
- 86 percent those who identify as strong supporters of the Second Amendment
- 57 percent of Maine voters say they would be more likely to oppose the re-election of their state legislator if he or she voted to overturn current law and allow people to carry concealed firearms without a permit, compared with only 24 percent who say they would be less likely to oppose their legislator’s reelection.
“As a registered Maine Guide, avid hunter, and veteran, I understand and appreciate the importance of responsible gun ownership—this polling clearly shows that my fellow Mainers do as well. Requiring those who carry hidden, loaded guns in public to have a permit and learn some basic training is just common sense,” said Shawn Boutaugh, registered Maine Guide from Millinocket, gun owner, and Navy veteran. “Nearly nine in ten Maine voters reject this dangerous proposal to let people who have never even handled a gun before carry them on our streets.”